Encon Services Group History
Encon Services International LLC, Washington, D.C., and Encon Services Ltd, Sofia, Bulgaria were established in 2004 to support the growing demand for sustainable energy project development services in Eastern Europe and countries in transition.
Encon is a pioneer in providing assistance to International Financial Institutions by establishing and successfully implementing innovative financing mechanisms for sustainable energy projects:
- Providing technical assistance to European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) with the first sustainable energy financing facility – the Bulgaria Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Credit Line (BEERECL) from 2004 to 2014
- Dispersing EUR 155 million in credit line funds to projects with a value of EUR 247 million
- Developing business plans for 290 implemented energy efficiency and renewable energy projects
- Working closely with eight local commercial banks
- The credit line has served as the model for subsequent EBRD sustainable energy finance facilities in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kazakhstan, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Ukraine and other countries.
- Implementing the Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency Facility in Montenegro funded by the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW) from 2007 to 2008.
- Working closely with the EBRD and the Government of Bulgaria to create the Energy Efficiency and Green Economy Programme, which promotes energy efficiency and renewable energy investments by SMEs, using grant funding, from the Competitiveness OP of approximately EUR 200 million, and EBRD’ s credit line through commercial banks. The Programme was successfully launched in 2012.
- Currently implementing the European Investment Bank (EIB) Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Credit Line in Bulgaria.
Encon is actively involved in building energy efficiency projects including issuing building Energy Passports, providing energy audits, and supervising the installation of energy efficiency measures. From 2012 to 2014, Encon was a Monitoring and Verification Consultant for the World Bank Montenegro Energy Efficiency Project (MEEP), which implemented energy efficiency improvements at hospitals and schools.
Encon developed almost 400 sustainable energy projects, including renewable energy systems, combined heat and power projects and energy efficiency projects at industries, buildings, district heating systems, and power plants, that are currently operating.
Encon Services Ltd. is certified under ISO 9001:2008 for providing energy audits, project preparation and energy efficiency project certification for industrial systems, building systems, and renewable energy projects.