Client: Ministry of Economy of Montenegro/World Bank
Dates: 2012 - 2014
Country of assignment: Montenegro
Description of actual services provided:
In 2012 Encon was selected by the Government of Montenegro to implement Technical Monitoring and Evaluation of Social Buildings (Schools and Hospitals) under the Montenegro Energy Efficiency Project (MEEP).
The Government of Montenegro received a loan from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development of the World Bank Group toward the cost of financing Montenegro Energy Efficiency Project aimed to improve energy efficiency in social public buildings. The focus of MEEP was on educational and health-related buildings due to strong demonstration and promotion impacts that can be achieved among society.
The technical monitoring of the retrofitted buildings pursued the following objectives:
- Determine the real energy consumption before retrofitting and real energy consumption after objects retrofitting on all objects (hospitals and schools) and quantify energy savings achieved
- Quantify the difference of the indoor climate before retrofitting and indoor climate after retrofitting, and together with the climatic variation, adjust the gross energy saving in order to establish the savings for normative heating seasons and indoor air temperatures
- Assess the comfort improvement in term of temperature and functional improvement
- Assess the effectiveness of the implemented energy saving measures such as room temperature control, reduction of air infiltration through the windows, control of the humidity level through the natural ventilation, illumination level, satisfaction of users, etc.
The Encon Team worked on the implementation of the following tasks:
- Prepare the methodology for monitoring and evaluation, including but not be limited to:
- Determine the data to be collected: heat consumption, indoor temperatures in relation with outdoor temperature, indoor humidity, fuel consumption, lighting efficiency and illumination level (for focusing on the pupils' desks and on the blackboards in schools)
- Define the methodology of analyzing the collected data and evaluation of the results
- Define the reporting format
- Recommend a monitoring protocol for all objects, in general, and specifically for each site such as frequency of data collection, units, calibration of equipment, organization of manual readings (if any)
- Recommend the organization of data collection, in coordination with the schools and hospitals administrators
- Perform monitoring and evaluation in building before investments
- Perform monitoring and evaluation in hospitals and schools after investments aimed to improve the energy efficiency of these buildings