Client: European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Dates: 2021 - 2022
Country of assignment: Bulgaria
Description of actual services provided:
Bulgarian water sector comprises a total number of 52 regional water and waste water operators (RWOs). Bulgarian RWOs face multiple financial and operational challenges including significant physical water losses, un-optimized energy consumption, poor revenue collection, lack of strategic asset management planning, poor data collection and reporting, inability to attract and maintain qualified and experienced personnel, lack of modern Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, etc.
The overall objective of the assignment is to identify Energy Efficiency (EE) and Renewable Energy Solutions (RES) opportunities at each of the following RWOs:
- Burgas RWO
- Dobrich RWO
- Pernik RWO
- Smolyan RWO
- Sliven RWO
- Stara Zagora RWO
- Vratsa RWO
Specific objectives of the assignment include:
- Screening of water companies’ operation processes and identifying areas with high energy intake;
- Identifying proven EE measures available including energy management/digital solutions and energy generation measures (including RES) that drive better utility performance/operation;
- Identifying and prioritizing key investments (up to EUR 10 million per company), which will have quick, but long-term effect on operators’ energy consumption.
The Encon’s Team is responsible for implementing the following tasks:
- Task 1: Assessment of the current operational deficiency of each water company by reviewing the relevant information and discussions with relevant staff and Water Holding.
- Task 2: Assess current electrical consumption for each company including analysis the overall operational inefficiency benchmarked against current best practices.
- Task 3: Assess the EE and RES potential at each of the seven regional water and waste water operators.